Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Chatting with Amy Metz #crimewriter



A big welcome to the blogsite for Amy Metz. Thank you for joining us. 
Thank you for having me!

Q. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
A. I live in Louisville, Kentucky. I taught first grade until my first child was born. Now I have one married son and one in college. While I raised my boys, I worked on local, district, and state PTA boards. Two years ago, I got divorced after 32 years of marriage. Now I write full time.

Q. Do you have a kindle, nook, or reading device yourself, or do you prefer to read from printed versions of a book?
A. I have a Kindle and read from it because the ebooks are so much cheaper than print or audio, but I prefer print books. Strangely enough, I “read” more audiobooks than anything because I can listen to a book in the car or while I’m pottering around the house. I have to admit I’m addicted to audiobooks at bedtime. I can no longer go to sleep without having an audiobook softly reading me to sleep.

Q. Which ‘genres’ do you prefer to read – and write? Is there a difference?
A. I like to read mysteries the most, but I write cozy mysteries. When I started writing, I set out to write a mystery but didn’t want sex and violence in the books because I didn’t want to be embarrassed if my dad or sons read the book. I’d actually never heard the term “cozy” mystery until a publisher I’d submitted the book to told me that’s what the book was. I’m now on my fifth cozy mystery, but I’m also writing a traditional mystery book for the first time.

Q. What drove you to begin a writing career?
A. Stress. I began writing as a form of therapy when I was going through a particularly hard time. Life was sad, maddening, but funny too, so I started writing a book about what was happening. But that was like living through it twice, so I started writing a funny mystery book to take my mind off life. And Goose Pimple Junction books were born.

Q. Do you write from imagination, personal experience, or a mixture?
A. A mixture. I’m always looking and listening for things to include in my books, but I also like to write characters who do and say things I never would.

Q. Do you have a current ‘work in progress’? Can you tell us anything about it?
A. I have a “work,” but there’s not much progress on it. I am stuck on the fifth Goose Pimple Junction book and so work has stalled. I’m also writing the suspenseful mystery book I mentioned earlier. It’s about a serial killer who dresses up as a helpless old man and gets his victims to come to his aid. It will be a psychological thriller-type mystery driven by suspense.

Q. When you have writing the book – what do you do next? By that I mean, do you edit the book yourself? Do you design your own book cover? Do you prepare a project plan to market your book?
A. Finishing the book means the fun is over and the real work begins. By the time I send the manuscript to an editor, I’ve gone over it myself a gazillion times, rewriting and proofreading many times over. When the editor is done, I go back over it and include or exclude her suggestions. I have a really great editor who doesn’t do one and done. We swap the manuscript back and forth several times before we decide it’s ready to publish. (Thank you, Lisa Binion!)
Usually before the book is finished I’ve found a painting for the cover and I’ve contacted the artist. While I’m waiting for the manuscript to be edited, I send the image to someone who turns it into a cover and adds a back cover. Once the manuscript is ready to go, I have it formatted for print and ebook.
And while all that is going on, I plan and carryout marketing for the book. I contact a gazillion reviewers and bloggers and line up a blog tour. Almost all my marketing is online. I’ve been to a few author signings but haven’t found them worth the time. Word of mouth has been what works best for me.

Q. If you were gifted an air ticket to ‘anywhere’, which destination would you choose above all others and why?
A. It’s a toss up between three of my favorite places: 1) The Colony Hotel in Kennebunkport, Maine because their veranda overlooking the ocean is the perfect place to alternate reading, taking photos, and staring at the water.
2) Stockbridge, Massachusetts. It is my northern Goose Pimple Junction. Beautiful, quiet, wonderful town! I’d move there if I could.
3) The Inn on Biltmore Estate is another gorgeous place that I love. All three places are heaven on earth and highly recommended for de-stressing.


Q. Do you have website or social media page you would like to invite us to visit?

Q. Do you have links on twitter or any other social media sites?
A. My Twitter address is: https://twitter.com/authoramymetz and Goodreads is: https://www.goodreads.com/AmyMetz 


And on a final note, I would like to thank Amy for contributing to our charity anthologies - Chiari Warriors and Coptales, both available in print and in kindle. Best of luck with your writing, Amy. Here is a selection of Amy's books, don't forget to visit her amazon page for more information.